Friday 6 February 2015

My sister

She wasn't perfect in any way and I won't start saying she was, but she was and will always be my big sister.  The person who would always put me straight.

The fact is that she was the bravest person I have ever known.
The way she dealt with her illness and worried about all of us at the same time, amazing.  I would ring her everyday to talk about nonsense and rant about stuff and she was always there for me.  She just wanted life to be normal and for us to not treat her like she was ill.

She sadly lost her battle with cancer on 25th December 2013 and was surrounded by us all in the hospice when she passed.  She was determined to spend Christmas with us and she did.
At the time it was awful, but looking back I am glad we spent her last moments on earth together as a family.

That Christmas has got to be the worst one ever for us all and will probably cast a shadow over Christmas from now on if we let it.  But I know she wouldn't have wanted that.

My husband and three children have been the major part of what's got me through this year, they have cried with me and made me endless cups of coffee and just shut the door when I had a meltdown.
My husband has just held me when I needed to just get it out and I don't know what I would have done without him.
I still have days when I just cry because of the stupidest things.  Sister cards in the shop, clothes I know she would have helped me pick out, things that I would have rung her to tell her and now can't.

Sometimes it's just that I miss her giving me grief for the stupid things I do daily and would ring her to tell her to make her laugh.

We have just got through her birthday and it was a pretty rough day for us all.  
It's the silly things that hit home the most.  That morning call, we can no longer have, to give her stick for being older than me and find out what she had planned for the day......

My kids getting older and her not sharing it will be hard.  She didn't want kids of her own but borrowed mine whenever she could.  She taught them to cook and be creative and would encourage them to read and draw and paint.
She was just special to them all.

I know she would want me to just get on with it and always do my best and she would tell me when I am in tears that I should be grateful for what I have and appreciate my kids faults and all.  
She was always the person who would put me straight and tell me I was doing a good job whenever I doubted myself as a parent.  Often!!
I miss her every day and always will and I know that life carries on regardless, but, I still wish she was here to talk and confide with.

Everybody needs someone and I needed a big sister and still do.....x x



No comments:

Post a Comment