Friday 18 September 2015

MY CRAZY DOG!!

So for my 40th birthday my husband said I could have the dog of my dreams. 

It sounds funny now but I had been devastated when we lost our lurcher at nearly 15 years old on mothers day a few years before and our remaining bitch missed having another dog around.

So Internet research was underway as I had three kids and triple that in other people's kids coming round all the time it would have to be a sociable playful dog of medium size.

Originally I wanted an airdale as they are fabulous dogs but my husband pointed out that it would in fact be a large terrier and not suitable with leaving the gate open and kids coming and going all the time.

So back to the drawing board we went.

Our lurcher had been a spaniel x greyhound and our bitch is a pointer x greyhound so a gundog breed seemed the obvious choice.

A decision was made.

I contacted all the breeders and got advice and located a pup in Wales.  A German wire haired pointer. 
Unfortunately due to circumstances out of our control this wasn't meant to be and we didn't get him.  I was very upset as these pups just weren't available often.

Then my husband received a call from a friend to say that he knew of a litter in Dover.   The parents were both owned by a family and could be seen and they had a huge litter.  The only problem is they didn't know if they would be rough or smooth coated.

At this point I had a name and everything picked out Mactavish if he had whiskers or Mac if he was smooth.  Original I know!!

But time flew round and we received regular updates on his progress and at 7 weeks and 4 days we went to get him.

It was an uneventful journey and we arrived about lunchtime to collect him.  The breeder showed us the parents who were friendly and calm and even the grandparents that he had wandering around.

Then he took us to the back garden through a side gate to a small garden area with a large kennel and shed at the rear.  Inside was 9 puppies all running around playing.  "CAN YOU SEE HIM" he asked me above the noise.  But I couldn't see my Mac as he wasn't there.  Then he opened the gate and said to me to come in and I did.
It was caos with puppies jumping and fighting for attention.  Then a flap of carpet lifted and I saw Mac for the first time.  He was bigger than I had expected and was covered in wrinkles all down his face.  He was busily collecting all the bones and hiding them inside!!
I fell head over heals for him at that moment. 

He was then and still is now my chocolate monster.
He was the funniest pup and is still entertaining now.  Though he became enormous.

No comments:

Post a Comment